Fire Safety in the Home

Teach your household these steps to fire safety

  • Teach your family all the dangers of fire, and practice your fire escape plan thoroughly
  • Fit a smoke alarm on each level of your home. Keep them free from dust, test the alarm regularly and replace batteries once a year
  • Be prepared: install an household fire extinguisher in a prominent position, and a fire blanket close to (but not above) the hob
  • Unless a fire is very small and can be put out with a domestic fire extinguisher, do not tackle it yourself. Get out, stay out and call 999
  • Never leave a hot pan with oil in it unattended. If a pan fire starts, contain it by turning off the heat source then covering the pan with a damp tea towel or fire blanket if you have one. Leave it covered for at least 30 minutes while the heat subsides
  • Don't overload electrical sockets. Remember one plug for one socket
  • Keep matches, lighters and candles out of sight and reach of children
  • Never leave lit candles unattended or where children are alone. Ensure candles are in secure holders on a surface that does not burn and are away from any flammable materials
  • Don't plug electric blankets into extension leads or multiway sockets, as this can increase the risk of these being switched on accidentally
  • Never dry clothes or materials near a fire
  • In the event of a fire, make yourself heard and get everyone out. Try to shut all doors behind you if possible to contain the fire and call the fire brigade

How to prevent common fires in the kitchen

  • Do not leave cooking unattended - take pans off the heat
  • Switch off the oven or hob when you have finished cooking
  • Spark devices are safer than matches or lighters to light gas cookers
  • Keep electrical leads, tea towels and cloths away from oven or hob
  • Never leave children alone in the kitchen
  • Take care when wearing loose clothing if cooking - it can easily catch fire

If your clothes catch fire - Stop, drop and roll

  • Don't run
  • Lie down and roll around
  • Smother flames using a heavy material like a coat or blanket
  • Call 999, or ask someone else to, if needed